Before I became a mom, I had a list of things I’d never do as a mom. My mom and sister would tell me “never say never”, but I was confident in my nevers. They ranged anywhere from how I would/wouldn’t dress my child to my postpartum emotional state. I felt like I knew myself well enough to know how I’d handle motherhood, but…I was wrong. Haha!
- “I won’t cry at everything”. Since becoming a mom, I can’t watch a commercial without crying. I used to always make fun of my mom for crying at so many things (and I still do make fun of her sometimes), but now I cry too. I feel like once you become a mom, you can relate to so many more things or you imagine your child in that position and it just brings you to tears.
- “I’ll never say ‘she doesn’t understand because she’s not a mom’”. When people would say that it would annoy me so much. I mean, just because I’m not a mom, doesn’t mean I’m an idiot. But I’ve come to realize that yes, yes it does. Haha! Just kidding. You’re not an idiot if you’re not a mom. But there really are things that you don’t understand until you’re a mom.
- “I won’t care what clothes she wear. Baby’s look cute in anything.” Babies do look cute in anything, but if they look cute in ugly clothes, imagine how cute they’d look in cute clothes! I’m so picky about what Hazel wears…I like neutrals and I don’t like anything too cutesy. I’m just soaking up this period of time where she doesn’t care what she wears because once she has an opinion, I’ll let her wear what she wants…even if, God forbid, she likes color. Haha!
- “I’m not going to lose myself in motherhood.” Fast forward to when Hazel was 7 months old and I’m crying to my sister saying, “I said I wasn’t going to lose myself in motherhood and now here I am, lost.” But I have found my(new)self again and I’m feeling much better now 🙂 We’ll see how things go when baby number 2 gets here though.
- “We won’t neglect our dogs after having a human baby. Our dogs are our babies too.” We used to be crazy dog parents. Like, before we were actual parents, we would celebrate Mother’s Day and Father’s Day with our dogs. Haha! But now, our poor dogs are so neglected! Have there been days that we’ve forgotten to feed them? Yes. Do they get bathed as often as they used to? No. Some days I don’t even pet them at all. I feel so bad because they used to sleep with us and snuggle with us all the time. But Hazel gives them a lot of attention and they love it, so that makes up for us neglecting them, right?
- “My ‘fashion blog’ won’t turn into a ‘mommy blog’” Ha! Probably the biggest lie I told myself before having kids. My blog is a full-on mom blog (well, mommy/lifestyle blog) now and I couldn’t be happier about it!
I hope you guys enjoyed my silly list of “never say never”. What are some things you said you’d never do as a mom, but now find yourself doing?